Bluebonnet country

Bluebonnet country

Friday, September 4, 2015

I made homemade fig jam

We have a fig tree in our back yard, and it has been producing lots of figs this summer! They are huge, too, and really sweet!  We have eaten a lot of them, and given bags of them away to friends. The birds and squirrels and (??) have gotten to pick, peck, and eat their fair share of them, too!

 We just recently got a bunch of rain, so the figs that were green on the tree suddenly all got ripe at the same time. So, I decided to make a pile of them into Homemade Fig Jam!

 Aren't they pretty!?
 There are bunches of them, and more to come!  I need to look up some more fig recipes!
I have never made jam before, so I had to follow the directions on the Sure Jell Pectin package.  First I washed the jars, because they have to be sterilized. I found out after I washed these five, that I would need four more, so I boiled those additional four in a pot of water briefly. They were brand new, so I think that was enough to sterilize them.


 I measured 5 cups of Figs. I followed the directions on the Sure Jell package instructions for making Cooked Fruit Jam.
I put these in a pot and started to boil them.  I had a problem, yes, I am going to show you a picture. This was my first time to make jam of any kind, so I was kind of learning as I went. The pot started to boil over, and made a rather yucky, sticky mess. I had to pull it off the burner right away. This caused a little smoke too. Exciting !!  NOT!  I was so busy trying to deal with the boiled over pot situation, that I forgot to take a picture of the figs in the pot. So, the next step was to take the fig mixture and ladle it into into the jars. See the recipe on your Sure Jell package for specific measurements of water/sugar/lemon juice/figs.


 Next, I wiped the tops and sides of each jar off and put the lids on them and screwed them on tight. Then I put them in the big black canning pot. The jars were completely submerged in the water. Then I boiled them for 10 minutes in the canning pot.


 Here are the 9 jars of Homemade Fig Jam I made today!  I have not tasted it yet, but I can't wait to see how it turned out!


 This will taste great on a thick slice of Homemade Honey Whole Wheat Bread! I think I'll get started making some of that next!

No comments:

Post a Comment