Bluebonnet country

Bluebonnet country

Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Christmas Memories: Home

We took a road trip to Kentucky last Christmas and made some special memories along the way and while visiting with family and friends. Growing up we always had cats. They would come and they would go. Some stayed around for years, and others disappeared after a few months. Our cats were outdoor pets, and back then it was not as common for people to spay and neuter their animals. We had many litters of kittens from our cats through the years. Most of the kittens were either given away to a friend or neighbor; ran away; or stayed with us as additional pets. My love for cats began as a child with so many cute kitty to play with and take care of. 

This is my parent's cat, Buddy, and she is a really beautiful, playful, and sweet kitty! My parents still live in the home where I grew up, and so it is comforting to find a cat still as part of the family. 
My parents always feed the birds, and I love to take photos of birds. Here is a flitting Chickadee that came to the feeder for some seed.
I love the bright color of this Cardinal. He seems to be waiting us turn to fly the the bird feeder for a snack.
My parent's Christmas tree is beautiful and holds ornaments with so many memories and sentimental value. I love to just look at the ornaments and how familiar each one is.
Christmas dinner was delicious as always! My Mom is an excellent cook! We had sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetarian dinner roast, vegetarian stuffing, tossed salad, green beans, corn, and dinner rolls. Mmmm Mmmm Good!


Some of these photos are less than ideal, but one of my camera lens was broken and so I had to take some photos with my other lens and some with my old phone, which did not take very good photos--especially indoors. I tried to capture our visit and memories as best I could, but I sure was thankful when I was able to get my broken camera lens back from the repair shop! I really missed being able to take photos easily and with the quality I am used to.
We met with my dear friend and her family at the Kentucky Horse Park where they were having Christmas festivities! There was a model train exhibit, camels and ponies to ride, and lots of Christmas light displays and sights to see!

My two handsome snowmen!  I love them so much!
One day during our visit we went to the City Park in my hometown and took a walk. There is a swinging bridge there and a path along the creek. We befriended a little cat, which happened to belong to a family who used to be our neighbors for many, many years when I was growing up, and who now live in a house that is along the walking path. This cat walked with us for about a mile and would not turn around and go back to her house. She was adorable and so sweet!  Finally we were able to return the cat to its owner and get it to stay in its own territory. It was cute to see a little orange and white cat walking along with us, but no one in our group was interested in adopting her, and least of all us who already have four cats and live about a thousand miles away!
Here we are on the swinging bridge! This beautiful, historic bridge connects the east side of the city to the main downtown area of my little home town. It has recently been restored and looks great!
The park ends at a historic village, where some old log cabins, a stage for events, and some historic markers form a little area for exploration and education.
My parents. When I see this photo, I can't help but imagine what it would be like if this log cabin were there current home. Wow. I'm thankful we live in the types of houses we have now days with good insulation and running water and electricity!

Our visit at my old Kentucky home was wonderful! It went by too fast as usual, as do all visits with all of our family! We are blessed!


No comments:

Post a Comment